Noodle bowls are one of my favourite quick, cheap and easy go-to meals. They’re ridiculously easy to throw together and as long as you have noodles (which should be a pantry staple in my opinion), you can really use whichever veggies you’d prefer! The spicy peanut sauce can be made ahead of time in bulk and keeps really well in the fridge for at least a week or two, ready to spice up any simple meal!
Gather your ingredients:
Firstly, break your rice noodles into a large bowl, covering them with boiling water. Drape a tea towel over the bowl to trap in the heat, helping the noodles to soften.
Next, prepare your spicy peanut sauce, a.k.a liquid gold (I could seriously drink this stuff). It’s as easy as measuring out the ingredients into a saucepan and heating it on the stove. Make sure its on a gentle heat and keep an eye on it. Stir it regularly until it combines to make a creamy fragrant sauce. You can totally customise how hot/spicy to make this; I love spice so I get a little carried away with the chilli flakes.
Transfer your sauce to a bowl and prep your veggies of choice. I really love to use a colourful selection, the more my bowl resembles a rainbow, the happier I get.
Chop up some peanuts and mint leaves as toppings too.
All that’s left is to assemble your bowls!
Drain the noodles.
Divide them amongst the bowls and top with your selection of veggies.
Drizzle on as much peanut sauce as you’d like. Try your best not to pour the entire bowl of it onto your own serving, hard as it might be. If you have any left over, keep it in an air-tight container and stash it at the back of your fridge, away from other greedy hands. It’s really moorish when paired with steamed veggies and rice, salads, summer rolls, anything tbf.
top tip: if you’re allergic to peanuts, you could always use almond butter or even sunflower seed butter!
Top with your chopped mint and peanuts for a little extra sass. The mint is totally optional but I think it really adds a fresh, unique flavour to the bowl.
- vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 red pepper
- ½ a cucumber
- 2 carrots
- handful fresh mint
- handful of roasted peanuts
- 1 avocado
- 2 mini gem lettuce
- For the sauce:
- ⅓ cup organic natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/agave
- ½-3/4 cup of coconut/almond milk
- 1 tsp siracha sauce (hot sauce)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 grated garlic clove
- 1tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Break your noodles into a bowl and pour over boiling water till fully covered. Cover bowl using a tea towel and set to one side.
- Prepare your veggies of choice by cutting them into thin strips.
- For the Peanut sauce:
- Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and place on a low heat. Stir the mixture slowly as the peanut butter melts to form a creamy fragrant sauce. You want it to reduce slightly but still be thin enough to drizzle over your noodle bowls. Keep a careful eye on it and stir it regularly. It should only take 3-5 minutes all together.
- Assemble your bowls:
- Drain your noodles and divide them amongst the bowls.
- Add your prepared veggies and drizzle over the spicy peanut sauce.
- Chop the fresh mint and peanuts and sprinkle over.
- Dig in.