If you’re feeling the post-summer bluessss, these ice cream cookie sandwiches should brighten your day right up! Who says it must be summer in order to enjoy one of these sandwiches of deliciousness?
These cookies are pretty darn simple to make, all you need is as much effort as it takes to throw some ingredients in a bowl and stir ’em up! Consisting of a handful of honest ingredients, these cookies are a pretty healthy option. They’re both vegan and gluten free, so no one’s being left out of this cookie action! I used a gluten free flour mix by the brand Dove’s Farm which did the job just fine, but you can use any gluten free flour mix of your choice.
These cookies can easily be enjoyed as they are or dunked into a glass of your favourite warm plant-based milk – sandwiching ice cream between them truly takes them to a whole other level though.
As for the ‘ice cream’ element of these little sandwiches, blending frozen bananas makes for a speedy, guilt-free option. I love banana ‘nice cream’ (as it’s known on instagram) and I make it all the time. It’s healthy and delicious and 100% customisable. If you’re not a fan of banana as a flavour, simply add in your favourite ingredients whilst blending the bananas and voilá! Some of my favourite ingredients to add are peanut butter, frozen berries, cacao powder or cinnamon. Of course, you could always just use shop-brought dairy-free ice cream if you’re looking for an even speedier option.
p.s don’t let your cookies get too crispy! If your cookies are too crispy the ice cream will squeeze out of the sides of the sandwich whilst you’re biting into it. I recommend cooking them until they’re crispy on the edges but still quite chewy in the middle!
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ½ cup Gluten free flour mix (I use a brand's called Dove's Farm)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup dairy-free chocolate (chopped into chunks)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup almond/soya/brown rice milk
- 2 tbsp neutral flavoured oil (e.g rapeseed/canola/sunflower)
- 3 bananas cut into chunks and frozen overnight
- splash of plant milk (almond/rice/soya)
- For the 'ice cream': Place your frozen banana chunks and a splash of almond milk in a blender/food processor and blend/process until they reach a smooth, creamy, ice cream-like consistency. If your blender is not very powerful you may have to stop and push down the bananas every now and then. If you're not fond of a banana flavour, now's your chance to make your ice cream any flavour you prefer (e.g add frozen berries/few tbsp of cocoa powder/vanilla extract)
- Once your bananas reach an ice cream consistency, transfer to a tupperware and place in the freezer to further firm up.
- For the cookies: place all dry ingredients (apart from chocolate chunks) in a large bowl and combine.
- In a separate bowl, add all the wet ingredients and mix to combine. Add this mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir together until fully combined.
- Add the chocolate chunks to the cookie batter and mix to evenly distribute them.
- Spoon tablespoons of the mixture onto a greased baking tray (approx. 6 cookies) and place in a preheated oven at 200c./gas mark 6 for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the cookies are golden and crispy on the edges but still soft in the centre, pull them out of the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Using an ice cream scoop, sandwich ball a ball of your banana ice cream between two cookies and enjoy!